Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Classroom Environment - Environmental Print





It has not taken me long to see the powerful connection to the classroom environment and successful learning and teaching. Like any adult, kids need a work place that is both functional (actually assists with and/or teaches content itself) and that is welcoming and warm.

It seems that the two can often clash, especially when considering how much actual "plastic" is in the classroom. When all is said and done, it would take a great deal of money and work just to rid a dramatic play center of all plastic. That is not my battle to fight, at least not for the moment.

However, the amount of plastic that I see on walls is stunning. Namely, plastic coated... well, you name it! Maps, calendars, letters, numbers, charts of all kinds! This, I have decided is my battle.
Well, more like a place I want to work on.

I am so very privileged and fortunate to have a wonderful mother-in-law who has supported my dreams in this regard. She is a master quilter and she has crafted an entire set of wall hanging quilts with educational models on them. They are beautiful, warm, and inviting, and serve the same purposes as those laminated equivalents for children's learning. Something as simple as adding a quilt into a classroom can create an atmosphere that says to children "this is your place, make yourself at home."

I will continue my quest to find ways to combat lamination on walls. Until then, here is one great idea! Thanks mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment