Saturday, November 7, 2009

UWM Urban Forum 2009 - What can we do?


Now that the dust has settled and many of us have listened to Dr. Loewen speak, where do we even begin. I have not yet read the books, but I have known and heard the title "Lies My Teacher Told Me." I always assumed that the book was probably pretty aggressive in identifying specific misnomers regarding facts taught in school. What I did not realize or even begin to consider is the fact that WE are products of those lies, and that WE (many of us anyway) continue them without even knowing it.

For example, I was one who voted for "States Rights" as the main cause of secession. I was embarrassed. But more importantly, I was stunned. Stunned that most of us there thought the same was true. This proves to me that the need for reflective practice and continuing professional development throughout our careers is vital. It begs the question, what other nonsense are WE going to teach our students?

See the 2009 UWM Urban forum Part-1 on the Internet! Click on this link:
Note: You will need Apple Quick Time Player... it takes a moment to start once you click on the link. Enjoy!


Dr. Loewen's Website:

No comments:

Post a Comment