Monday, August 23, 2010























Over the past week I have spent many, many hours laboring and deliberating over my room. Until I got into the space with all of my "stuff" I had no idea how intense the task really was. I was provided with a blank canvas - all of the resources in the classroom, aside from the desks, was provided by "yours truly."

I am so thankful for the mentoring and learning opportunities I was provided at the UWM School of Education. The staff and curriculum really prepared me to understand the purpose of creating a classroom that offered the entire classroom community opportunities for growth and self-expression.

I had several goals at the onset. First, I wanted to create a classroom that the children could feel comfortable in and a space that provided the children I will teach with effective learning opportunities. Next, I needed a space that would provide much needed classroom management benefits, especially with me being a first year teacher. Last, I wanted a space that I could feel at home in; one that reflected my values but that was open or flexible enough to let the children also feel that it expressed their values and interests. I feel great about the results! I hope that the children will be excited as well!

I have to say that the Washington School of Comprehensive Literacy in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, my cooperating teacher specifically, and the school staff in general, truly inspired me and prepared me for this stage of my journey and beyond. Those months of 1st grade preparation were priceless and a true blessing. As well, the time I spent at the Sheboygan Early Learning Center really impacted my understanding of child development and developmentally appropriate practice. My cooperating teacher there was so patient and guided me through each day with incredible insights and mentoring.

Next stop, my first day of teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment