Sunday, May 29, 2011

Reinforcing Positivity in the Classroom

The end of my first year of teaching has come. It has been a whirlwind. I have learned so much. Today I wanted to share my thoughts on how important it is to take time in the classroom to remind children (and ourselves) that there is so very much to be happy about! In this age of testing and classroom rigor, emphasizing the fun of life-long learning and indeed, of life life itself is crucial. Both teachers and students alike can easily be drowned in the pool of modern educational expectations. So to take time to find a song like Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" can provide the entire class a breath of fresh air during the day. In doing so we allow ourselves to be human and ultimately recharge and revitalize our resolve to press on in our studies. I found this to be true with my 1st grade students (6-7 year old kids) as well as with older kids. As a dear professor at St. Mary's College of Maryland once reminded me at the onset of the first Gulf War, "don't forget to smell the roses!" How true he was!

1 comment:

  1. It was very interesting to read about your first year of teaching! I plan on teaching first grade also when I graduate in two years. I imagine you are like one of my teachers I had while I was in elementary school. I was always enthusiastic about school because my teachers emphasized the fun in learning and were always positive. We need more teachers like that!

    ReplyDelete